Taught by: Miss Saba Hussain BA (Hons), London; PGCE. and Mrs Uzma Malak LLB (Hons), London.
It is the duty of the History department to try to realise the Qur’anic verse above. This is by giving pupils the opportunity to observe past nations and analyse their fall. From the Romans to the modern day the pupils at Islamia will learn about why History is important, what is good about the past and what we must learn from the past in order to achieve a successful future.
Key Stage 3
Key Stage 3 History follows the National Curriculum guidelines to ensure that students are well-versed in British History, and prepared to embark on GCSE History by the end of Year 9 if they so choose. In addition, Year 8 pupils study Islamic History which covers following topics:
• The Life of the Prophet (pbuh)
• The Four Rightly-guided Caliphs
• The Great Women of Islam
• The Umayyads and Abbasids
• Islamic Empires
In Year 9 the pupils are assessed according to the National Curriculum standards and study modern world History including:
• Civil Rights Movement
• Apartheid in South Africa
• World War 1
• Holocaust and Srebrenica
• Middle East conflict
Key Stage 4
The course at Islamia will follow the Edexcel GCSE in History ‘Making the Modern World’ which provides students with the opportunity to study on a variety of scales and across a range of perspectives. The chronology of the specification runs from the late nineteenth century to the modern day and aims to give students a clear understanding of the key issues which have helped to shape the modern world.
One of the things that make History stand out is that the units studied are modern day issues which affect us today. The topics covered are as follows:
War and the transformation
The subject is assessed through the GCSE examinations taken throughout years 10 and 11, which constitute 75% of the final grade. The remaining 25% comes from the Controlled Assessment task.
Insh’Allah only by looking and learning from the past can we improve our present and prepare for a better future.